Oh my god, I live in Japan

Thursday, September 06, 2007

It's these moments when I don't like typhoons.

So, I dunno if this is making news or what not, but there's a pretty big effin' typhoon making it's course through Japan right now. Japan sucks when it comes to natural disasters, because it gets just about every one of them. Well, right now there are the strongest rains i've probably ever seen in my life. It looks like a movie when there's way too much rain falling on the characters that it looks fake. You know? But it's real here. And crazy winds. I just saw lots of people with broken umbrellas.

I think Dave England, Dave Canada and myself will forever be known as "those foreigners that still go drinking when there's a typhoon."

I only had one drink, a delicious long island iced tea. Usually they run about $10 at the bar we like to go to, but at happy hour, they're only about $6.50. Nice. The key is getting there right at the end of happy hour, and nursing your drink till company shows up. But I guess company doesn't show up when there's a fucking typhoon!

Here's an awesome part of Japan that I don't think i've written about before. At the grocery stores that are not 24 hours, they mark down the fresh food that will go bad after a while. So, I live next to a place that closes at 9. So, if a strapping young 23 year-old bachelor like myself should need some dinner around 8:30 or so, said young lad could get an awesome meal for less than $4. I just had two yakitori (big chicken skewers with many things, but mine had garlic and onions between the chicken), several large pieces of boiled pumpkin (which I've grown seriously fond for this past year in Japan) and something called okara. Okara is minced up tofu with maybe a little bit of carrot or things like that mixed in. Good shit, and it's all so healthy. It cost me 332 yen, which is like $3.15. I mean does that kick ass or what?

At work during my free time, I've been reading Papa's "Threads of Destiny." Papa, if you're reading this, I had no idea you could write (and remember details) so well. Now I know where I get my unbelievable blogging skills.

That's all for now. No pictures. I'll do my best to survive the bike ride to school tomorrow in these ridiculous squalls and downpours.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ryan-
i don't know your emeil address, so i have to contact you this way. carlos and i are probably coming out in february. how many days do we need in japan? i think we're going to try to go see jason too, so our time is a little limied. would 4 or 5 days be enough?
court

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, I forgot about checking this thing. I'm just now reading your last 3 postings. Sweet pic of The Dazer and me.

3:24 AM  
Blogger Shhhh... said...

I, too, have forgotten to check... but I love you! Tell Manami that her black angels miss her and still tell everyone about her. Oh! and Ry-yawn... did you poooooop?

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I still tell everyone about Manami saying "Did you poooooooh?"
Court

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ry
loved this blog entry.
love the hair.
love manami's glasses.
love you
and see you soon
mom

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home