Oh my god, I live in Japan

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I miss Jordy...

He was a great dog, wasn't he? Can I get a witness.

Yesterday, I headed to Ikebukuro (29 minutes by train, the closest of the "central" Tokyo areas for me) to meet up with Manami, when it turned into a much bigger afair. Something like a reunion from studying abroad this summer, though not really. Specifically, it was myself, manami, suzuki (red-haired half-japanese kid), his girlfriend erika, paul, will who i hadn't seen since last summer, will's dad and will's dad's friend. Wow!

I played host, if you will, and decided we'd go eat all-you-can-eat yakiniku. Remember what yakiniku is? Maybe I should give a test and see how all my sweet readers' Japanese is coming. If you don't remember, yakiniku literally means "cooked meat" and you sit at the table with a grill in the middle of you and grill up raw meat and maybe some veggies. The fun part is guessing exactly what part of the cow/chicken/pig you're eating.

I don't have any pictures, but someone took some. So I'll steal them from them whenever I get my greasy niku fingers on them.

I spent too much money the other day on a new t-shirt and some board shorts. Ran me around $150. I'm pretty ridiculous aren't I?

This weekend I'm going to FujiQ Highland, a big yuuenchi (amusement park) with lots of roller coaster and the like. Expect pictures. Here's something funny. They don't call roller coasters "roller coasters" in japan, I think because that would just be way to hard for their tongues to pronounce. Instead they're called "jetto kosutas" or, if you will, jet coasters. Fair enough.

That's all folks. See, I'm trying to update more...Isn't that sweet of me?? This blog contained two "if you will"s.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jordy was a good dog, even though he hated me.

7:10 AM  
Blogger bikerbunnie said...

Dear ryanmarks,
my name is marin and i'm a 22 year old graduate from unr (reno, nevada). what else would i do with an english degree but go teach english in japan? i was found on myspace by the teacher i'll probably be replacing who just happens to live in saitama. and then i found your blog. anyway, if i am in fact being stationed in saitama, i will probably hunt you down [not in a bad way] because i will know no one. I'm quickly reading through your blog to see what i can expect, but if you have any advice, what i cannot forget, or any other secrets of nihon please write me back! thanks for the reading material and i hope to hear from you soon!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home