Oh my god, I live in Japan

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Umare no hi.

Friday the 13th was the real celebration day of my birthday, even though my birthday was sunday. So, here's the rundown with pictures. First, I went with Manami, Seth, and Johann to an izakaya for two hours of all-you-can-drink, pretty good food, and acting gay. Here's some pictures to illustrate.





I guess maybe I should correct that, because after looking at these pictures, looks like I was the only one acting gay. I swear that's not how I remember it though.

Next we met up with some more friends, including my good, somewhat tiny French buddy Francois and his girlfriend Wakana (I'm pretty sure thats her name). We went to everyone's favorite standing-room-only-bar Tasu Ichi. Not many pictures from that excursion, but here's Manami and I being cute as usual.


Then we went to Sakura house, the gaijin house where Seth and Francois live, and where Johan used to live. Someone there, can't remember who, busted out god knows what alcohol. It was black and tasted like what I would imagine a mummy's butthole would taste like. Here's a couple reaction shots of Johan and myself following that disaster of a mistake.



Honestly, I dont know what the deal is right now, but my armpits smell like the Barbados airport. No joke.

Anyways, here's a group shot from the Sakura house.


Here's a picture from Womb, the club. You can't really tell, but one of the two DJs who totally kicked ass that night (Dex Pistols) is holding up a Daft Punk shirt out of respect and because they were playing the DP. It ruled. I danced my sexy ass off till around 4:30 or so.


Word, so Saturday the 14th it rained all day. ALL freaking day thanks to a passing typhoon, which is a Japanese word, but they don't say the "n" at the end. I don't know why it got tacked on in becoming an english word really. Anyways, Manami and I decided to order some pizza because the local place near me had a half-off (hanbaku) discount day. This pizza was awesome. So awesome that here's a picture. And the fries were free.

LOOK AT ALL THOSE TOPPINGS! That one in the back has squid, octopus, shrimp and other sea goodies on it! YUM!
Yeah, did I mention it rained all day? So we slept most of the day.

Sunday, my actual birthday it rained more, but eventually let up a little bit. Manami and I went shopping in Omiya (the biggest area in my city) and had a little snack. Here's why Japanese fast food restaurants kick ass.

What's that? It's from a restaurant called Lotteria, a fast food chain here, and this is a tandori chicken sandwich. How awesome is that? The bread is nan!! Like Indian bread Nan, ya dig?

Then we went to yakiniku dinner with her family, but she had work Monday so I went to Tokyo and met up with Seth. We drank till about 2, thereby missing the last train, and I fell asleep until about 5 at his place. Woke up, went home, fell asleep around 7 and then was awoken by the crazy earthquake. Friday was crazy, but my actual birthday was pretty chilled out.

Finally, I just went to the post office and had an "only in Japan" moment. Basically, I don't know the ATM number to my new bank account, which is actually run through the post office. I went about 2 weeks ago to get my new number, they said they'd mail it to me, I got a phone call because there was a problem last week, so I went in today. I know it's confusing, but basically I had a whole lot of runaround. I think the post office lady could see I was a little frustrated, so what did she do to reciprocate? She gave me a hand-towel!! Does that happen in America? I don't think so, anyways.

See you in 6 days give or take.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey all you ryan marks bog fans, why don't you take the time to post some comments. everyone gets all bent out of shape when ryan's slow with the updates, but hardly anyone has been leaving any feedback lately. what gives? did it ever occur to you that they ry guy needs to feel our love from across the globe? reach out to him ya'll, reach out.
courtney

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ryan, the food looks oh-so-good! we gotta open a restaurant in the states! =D -priscilla.

p.s. if you're back in the states and when manami is as well, perhaps we can meet up! im willing to take a road trip for the 2 of you lovebirds. =)

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, its priscilla by the way. =)

11:46 PM  
Blogger Dash said...

I agree, Courtney, but each time I try to post something, Google doesn't recognize my user name or password, so I have to re-enroll each time, which frustrates me to the point that I just end up sending an email directly to Ryan. (That was a really long sentence). Does anyone else have that problem, or is it just me? Ryan, can't wait to see you and Manami!

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wade, all you have to do is click "Other" under "Choose an Identity." Then just type your name. Don't type anything for your web page.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genius, Ronnie G. (whoever you are)

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss you ryan!!!!! xxx Lucy

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ryan-
give everyone an update and pics from your month back home, please.
court

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tandori Chicken was one of my staples in London. I ate that and kebabs all day

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home