Oh my god, I live in Japan

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back for the attack!

So, just got back from a month home. It was a great month home. Saw the friends, the family, the Leo dog, did a road trip to Kansas/Denver/Chicago, saw Daft Punk and Crowded House, celebrated mom's 60th, did the things that I can't do in Japan (namely marijuana and eating bread, butter, and potatos). All in all a great time, but as I've said before, this is a Japan blog, not an American one. Thus, my trip home will be limited to the following pictures.

Gerry and Daisy- (congrats on making the blog G brah. Your commenting, both quality and quantity, has paid off)



Daft Punk tearing it up-


Manami and the nieces-


The night I got back, I ate kaitenzushi (conveyor-belt sushi), one of the things I missed most while I was home. It was delicious. Then I went to bed, and Manami and I took advantage of our jetlag and did something I wanted to do since I started reading about things to do in Japan. I went to Tsukiji Fish Market. This is the seafood wholesaler for Japan as well as much as the world. The thing is, if you get there after like 7 AM, you miss anything worth seeing. So I naturally woke up at 4AM and we went. Here's some shots.

Manami posing in front of the warehouse area-


Here's a tuna "factory" doing the deed- slicing, dicing, wrapping, shipping.


Talking Heads? More like tuna heads!


Some kind of shellfish that was still squirming-



Next comes the best part of going to Tsukiji....eating the sushi that was just brought in for breakfast!!! Here's the line to daiedo sushi. I think that's what the place was called. Manami? Am I right?


And here it is- quite possibly the freshest, most delicious sushi in the entire world. It does come with a fairly hefty price of around $30, but it's worth the experience.


That evening, we fell asleep at 6 in the freaking evening. I thought it would just be a nap, but I woke up at 6 the following morning. Never done that before. I am now getting over jetlag though, as it's 9:30 PM and i'm still awake.

Anyways, the next day (sunday) we hit up Omotesando/Harajuku, my favorite shopping area in Tokyo, because, well...i'm addicted to that shit. I didn't buy anything, but I did find this unbeliveable creation at the nearby McDonald's.

What's that you say? Yeah that's a strawberry fucking shortcake McFlurry. Why oh WHY doesn't america get this kind of good stuff that the Mcdonald's here get? They also just released a 100 yen McPork and a tandori Chicken sandwich.

Monday, I went drinking with Swedish friend Johan. No pictures or good stories from that.

Tuesday, I went with fellow Saitama english teachers Dave and Blair to a wonderful world called Tokyo Summerland. This amazing adventure featured a huge indoor water park, a water park outside, a terrible rollercoaster, and an awesome ride called the free fall. Here are some pictures.








We also went to a kind of amusement park yesterday. An indoor place in Odaiba called "Sega Joypolis." Pretty cool place, probably the best movie-screen cart-ride things i've ever been on. No pictures though. Solly.

Today, I relaxed and worked a new part-time job teaching people at a company English. I was nervous, but everyone was nice and it was pretty easy. And I picked up 5000 yen for an hour and a half. B-B-B-BOOYAH!!!

I'll try and get into some crazy antics this weekend to have posted on here ASAP. Welcome back to my blog. Keep commenting.

-ryan

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hiiiii,
ohh my god!!!!!
the first pic of Jerry and daisy are so CUUUUUTE <3
miss them so much...

yeah it was a good experince to see TSUKIJI fish merket =)
and i liked to look at you eating good Sushi =D hehe

aaaaaaaaaaaand
WELLCOME BACK TO JAPAN RYAAAAAN♪

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Back, Welcome Back, Welcome Back.......Love, Lucy

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home