Oh my god, I live in Japan

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I came all the way from America...I had a blind date with destiny.

Another night of eating too much goddamned food.

Today I taught first graders, who are quickly becoming my favorite over the second graders. It's amazing how much more talkative these kids are than the third graders. I don't get it, really. I taught a new first grade class today and they were hilarious. For some reason, a few of them like to yell to me "PEANUTS HONEY!!" And if I say it back, they laugh. So, I said in my self-introduction that I love eating peanuts and honey, and the class liked it. (On a side note, I've heard some other crazy English phrases and I have no reason why the kids are saying them. One that comes to mind is "Fire baby! Fire baby!") The lesson plan today was acting like you were ordering from a hamburger restaurant. It was fun and cute.

Lunch was good and I got okawari, a word that Okechan taught me and means "second helping," because Nagazawa-sensei was gone again. It sucks because he's the cool 24 year-old teacher, and apparently he quit, and some people about the teacher's office are upset about it, myself included.

Anyhoo, I got off of work, came home, dicked around a little bit, then headed to the almight Genkotsu Ramen. It was great. Then I was riding my bike home, and I had noticed that a restaurant that has been under construction looked like it might be open. I was taking a picture of the sign with my phone (more on that in a second), when the owner or manager or something came out and said a bunch of japanese shite. I understood "sushi o tabetai" (do you want to eat sushi) and he was doing the japanese hand motion for "come here," so I went in. So I had dinner number 2, and the sushi was absolutely delicious. It wasn't until I was leaving that I realized it was FREE!! I guess they were doing training and stuff. Seriously, I will be returning. It's a nice restaurant too, good atmosphere.

So about this taking a picture with my phone, eh? I found this badass feature on my cellphone where you can take a picture of any kanji or series of kanji, then the phone reads the kanji, and you can look up the meaning in the dictionary. So badass. This whole country is now my textbook! Kanji are the symbols that actually have a meaning (day, sun, water, up, etc), they're not just a phonetic library. Needless to say, this is very helpful. Phones here are so cool. If you travel around or eat at restaurants, you'll often see these kinda weird looking barcodes. What you do is take a picture of the barcode with your phone, your phone reads it, and then you can get special coupons or promotions based on the bar code you photographed. It is so cool.

This weekend is one of the biggest video game shows in the world- Tokyo Game Show 2006. It's cheap for the public, and I am very excited. Also, I just found out that Mars Volta will be here in November. NICE NICE NICE.

Later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever, dude. I'm seeing the Volta on Saturday.

-Ellen

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I love you. You are teaching kids like the cutie you truly are. Keep rocking out, and hit up some motherfucking nomihodai izakaiya action for me buddy.

-Will

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home