Oh my god, I live in Japan

Monday, September 11, 2006

Woo Nelly.

Today, I must have ridden at least 20 miles on my bike. Call my knees a gang-banger in the ghetto, cuz they are shot!

I woke up and went to the city hall to get my gaijin card- a necessary identification card for any foreigner staying in Japan for more than 90 days. Actually, I registered for it and will get it in about 2 weeks. After that, I tried the ramen at the 180 yen ramen shop. 180 yen is like $1.50, otherwise known as ridiculously cheap for a bowl of ramen. The quality reflected the price, but it was still alright, and now I'll know where to go in the event that i'm feeling a crunch between paychecks.

After that I hit up the supa (supermarket) for some cereal and what i thought was laundry soap. I was talking to Manami online, sent her a picture of it to make sure it was soap, and sure enough it turned out to be fabric softener. Goddamit. My clothes are still relatively clean. Then I studied for a bit, then went to kaiten sushi. The highlight was a avocado-shrimp topped with onion and mayonnaise sushi. Not maki (rolls) but sushi (meat over rice). It was awesome.

Then, it was about 4 PM an dI had nothing to do, so I decided to ride my bike to Tsukuba. It was a good idea, because Tsukuba is a damn cool city. It was a bad idea, because Tsukuba is way cooler than Tsuchiura. There's lots of shopping, a TON of restuarants, and gaijin bars for foreigners feeling homesick. It's about a 20 minute bike ride away, but still it'd probably be cooler if I actually lived there. Not a big deal though.

That was my day. Now i'm listening to a podcast I found of Japanese vocabulary set to beats. The idea is to listen to it on repeat and let it sink into your brain. We'll see if it works.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan, love the blog. It is hilaroius. I am so glad you are having fun, keep up the posts they are making my work days bearable. love, Lucy

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i can't spell. Lucy

4:44 AM  
Blogger Shhhh... said...

Ronnie g rocks

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did my kids get to be so frickin funny???!!!!! love the journal miss you xoxoxo mom

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home