Oh my god, I live in Japan

Sunday, September 10, 2006

I'm tired.

Hi. This weekend has been pretty righteous. Friday morning, I taught two kindergarten classes. The kids were so effin' adorable, and the work was easy, though I was a little nervous at first. I just said my name and where i'm from, then we went over fruits and colors, then sang "Heads, shoulders, knees, and toes." The kids loved when the song got really fast and they had to keep up. It was cute.

Then I went back to yon-chuu for more sports festival practice. We had a pretty good lunch consisiting of tuna and some other stuff. I helped Nagazawa and Matsuura cut down bamboo, which was kind of a cool experience. We went to these woods where tons and tons of bamboo trees were growing, then we chopped em down with huge knives. There were lots of mosquitos, which sucked, but it was fun.

After school, I headed to the station because Manami came into town. We walked back and ate at Takara Jime (Treasure Island) which is a yakiniku place. It was fucking good. Yakiniku means "thin meat" and you go to these restaurants and grill the meat on open-flame grills that are in the middle of your table. There's sauces and garlic and all that, and it is so good. It was my first time eating cow tongue, and it was actually really really good.

Saturday was the sports festival (finally), and it was pretty long and pretty boring to watch again. That's okay, though, because I'm getting paid. After the festival, I took a shower, then went to a nice hotel convention room for a pretty good dinner and lots of beer. I was pretty wasted. The three cool teachers all put on power rangers costumes and performed a little bit for all of us. Then they did a tumbling routine, based off of what the boys had to do at the sports festival (see below). They called a bunch of teachers up, including myself, and we did some tumbling things, like made a human pyramid and stuff. Of course the Japanese people got a kick out of seeing me up there. Then we all did "Esasa," which is where you take off your shirt and strike this pose then kinda run in place, sort of. Hard to explain, but it's a respected "sports" event that the boys at the school also did. So there was my drunk ass, shirt off, in front of all my colleagues and other PTA members I had never even seen before, doing some old Japanese traditional sport/dance thing. It was fun.

After that, we headed to an izakaya and got drunker and ate sashimi and edeamame. I sat by Okechan and talked to him most of the time, then we made the long walk back to yon-chuu, and I headed home. It was a good night, but a little too expensive. I woke up hungover, then went back to sleep, then headed out on my bike. I went on a route I had never been on, then ended up reaching the train station, so I ate at the Indian buffet again. It was delicious. I'm still full and i'm still tired. I should study Japanese now. That's all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home