Oh my god, I live in Japan

Monday, September 04, 2006

Shitsurei Shimasu!

This, I am finding out, is a phrase im really going to have to get used to hearing. The kids say it everytime they enter the teachers office, and it translates to 'excuse me' but really is something like 'I am being rude.' Then, when the kids leave, they say 'shitsurei shimashita,' which is the same thing but in past tense. It's kind of kind and cute, but annoying at the same time.

Anyways, its my first real day of work, but not really. This week, the kids are practicing for the sports festival on saturday. The 'sports' they are practicing for are really different, though. The 3rd grade (15 year old) boys are outside doing these exercises where they pick each other up on their shoulders, then the kid on top stands on the bottom kids thighs and leans forward, hands spread apart. The thing is, a lot of them arent strong enough and keep dropping the kids. It's pretty amusing.

I made my first two worksheets today. First, my boss was like 'no, this isnt creative enough.' Then I put some thought into it and i think i impressed her. Nice. I spent all day yesterday with Manami. She came by train to Tsuchiura, and helped me get a cell phone (ill put the number on here later), we ate indian food all-you-can-eat, walked back to my apartment (my apartment is a long walk to the train station), hung out, went to the super market, all that good shit. It was fun. Today, after work, im not really sure what i'll do. Maybe hit an arcade or something. Ill probably eat some ramen or kaiten-sushi (sushi on a conveyor belt that you grab and pay for by the plate), but for now its lunch time.

Shitsurei shimashita.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home