Oh my god, I live in Japan

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Today started as what I thought would have been the worst day in my Japanese life, but now it's the end, and it really hasn't been all that bad.

Today was one of those days that makes me bitch my one complaint I have about Japan- it rains way too fucking much. Sorry granny and poppa about dropping the f bomb. Anyways, I woke up to a downpour and massive wind. I had to pedal hard going DOWNHILL. That's how windy it was. Oh god, and I was teaching at a school farther away than usual. So, here I am soaking wet, making a turn onto the street near the school, when a van starts turning and doesn't stop. I didn't have time to stop, but I was so blatantly there, I couldn't believe he didn't notice me. So we collided. Basically, I just hit the side of his car and side mirror very hard. I knew on my way there that if there was a day to get "hit" by a car, it would have been today. Then, litereally 50 meters ahead (yes, i'm used to the metric system now), another van comes sooo close to hitting me, I turn hard, and fall off my bike. Sometimes Japanese drivers can be so fucking stupid. Okay, two complaints about Japan.

So, I arrived to elementary school where I had to teach 3rd graders (9 year olds) and this is where the day started getting better. As most Japanese people are, the teachers were so nice to me, gave me a towel to dry myself off, and took my cotton jacket thing and actually put it in the drier for me. They then hung it up so it would completely dry. They also brought me lots of snacks, coffee, milk tea, and green tea. And of course, when face-to-face to 30 something 9 year old Japanese kids, it's pretty much impossible not to be in a good mood, regardless of how dripping wet I was in front of them. Each class ended with me signing autographs with them, and letting them touch me. Uhh, I just mean on the hands and stuff. It's amazing how crazy they get about an American in their school.

Then I came back here to dry off and relax for a couple hours. My next mission was my part-time job. I taught Fumiko, who I taught last week. She's a totally sweet, maybe 35 year-old woman who's going to see Foo Fighters next month and shit. It's an interesting class because I'm teaching her how to give better speeches. It's not really "English class." Unfortunately, TIA hired a full-time employee and he will be teaching her from now on. That bastard. After that, I had a man I taught before. Can't remember his name but he's like 60 and speaks absolutely horrid English. It's actually very interesting teaching him, though.

Besides that, I had two nikuman for dinner. Nikuman are these circular bread-type things stuffed with meat and various sauces based on your choosing. You can get them at any conbini (7-11, sunks, family mart, lawson, etc) and they're only 100 yen ($1). Score. I think I've lost some weight in Japan, which is nice.

So a bad day got better, and that's all I've got to say for now.

I promise I'm gonna try and keep updating as much as possible. Sorry to anyone who stopped reading for my lack of updates, but it's not like you're reading this right now, so kiss my ass!!! (Just kidding, of course...I mean, unless you really want to kiss my ass, that's fine).

-ryan

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very glad your day got better Ryan. We all miss you so much. Well not enough to actually kiss your butt, but almost. Tomorrow will be better!!

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi re re-
i can't believe you got hit by a car. i am assuming you're ok, but give yourself a big hug for me. and for crying out loud be careful!
courtney xx

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1. Glad you're okay.

#2. Pay it forward (i.e., giving a towel to someone who came in out of the rain). The kindness extended to you this morning warmed my heart.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's scary...did the driver get out and help you up or was it a total hit and run?

8:33 PM  
Blogger ryanmarks said...

i hope people aren't worried, because it wasn't a huge accident or anything, i just hurt my arm a little bit...but the first guy, the car i actually made contact with, made no attempt to get out and say anything...i was tempted to flick him off, but didn't want to look like a rude foreigner...the next guy, the one that made me fall off my bike, got out and said a couple "daijoubu"s, but i just shrugged him off cuz i was mad hehe...but yeah i'm fine.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

be careful with that sweet body i made. be very very careful. xoxoxo mom

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home