Oh my god, I live in Japan

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Just a quickie.

Here's a quick blog update to hold you over.

Monday a funny thing happened. I went to VIP for the weekly game of gaijin poker and lost my 1000 yen (around $10) in about 10 minutes. That's not funny, so stop laughing. Anyways, there were a few new people there this week and I shake one dude's hand, named Calvin, and he tells me something like "Oh yeah, I know you." I'm like "Eh? What?" and he's like "Yeah, I read your blog once." Heh, trippy bro. He stumbled upon in coincidentally. Small town, I suppose. Good guy though. You reading this Calvin? What's your freakin' email address?

Anyhoo, I learned recently that in Japan, the ABC song is different than ours. It goes like this "a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k" but instead of the "lmnop" combo, they just keep at the same pace, with a "l m n" and continue on in the same melody with "o, p, q..." I'm assuming this is because the sounds made with "lmnop" and the many sounds not ending in vowel sounds are difficult for Japanese. Now sing that to yourself. Doesn't it sound funny? I cracked up the first couple of times I heard this version. Not to mention, when you reach z, it sounds like a terribly abrupt ending. And they don't say "double-you" either, just "double." I don't know, it's funny, though.

And as for the comments- Ryanami. I like it. Clever. Surprised I didn't think of it, because I'm that frickin' clever. I'll take it, though.

Anytime I meet new Australians here, I ask if they like Crowded House (who are from New Zealand). Most people give them the respect they deserve, and i've even met some Split Enz fans. Gerry (or anyone)- do you know Split Enz? I guess their hit song was "I Got You" and went something like, "I don't know why sometimes I get friiightened." It's pretty good, but way cheesy new wave sounds. Any takers?

That's all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yeah. I love that song. I hear it a lot on the "80s Alternative" Yahoo station.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo dude. this is calvin. actually my name is carson. i saw you today riding yer bike on that main road back from tsukuba so i checked yer blog again. i think our band is gonna play at timeroll, (tsuchiura live house near sakuragawa river) on jan 28. come on down. my email is youngcarson3000@yahoo.com. you can use this email to see our myspace page as well. good blog. take it easy man. we might have some more poker nights coming up too. later

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home