Oh my god, I live in Japan

Thursday, November 09, 2006

I am listening to Jethro Tull.

Today was a unique and fun day. Instead of going to yon-chu, I was picked up by Zach, one of the other ALTs (Assisstant Language Teachers). We drove to meet up with all the other ALTs at the community center kinda place where you can go camping and stuff. Kids from a different school were staying there, so all of us gaijin went to play games and make curry and stuff. It was fun. The first half of the day, we chopped potatoes, carrots, and onions and made Japanese style curry. It actually turned out delicious, and I got exposed to a sweet culture point at the same time. I had never seen this done before, but we took hollow bamboo that were filled with rice, added water, and placed tin foil under them and on a little hole in the top. After letting the bamboo roast over a fire, we took them off and sliced the bamboo open horizontally. Once opened, you had a little bamboo boat of cooked rice. Plus, the rice had a really good smokey, stickey, bamboo kinda flavor. It was awesome. I wish I had a picture to show of this, but I forgot my camera.

However, Justin, a good man and one of the ALTs, brought his camera and took some pictures. They are from the 2nd half of the day when we went to the gym and played games with the kids. Without further ado:

Here's a shot of me and some of the other ALTs not working.



Shot of some of the kids:



Me doing something stupid to make the kids laugh and point.



After the workin' day was done, it was photo-op time. Here's all the Tsuchiura ALTs and some extras (the three guys on the very right and left and the two women work somewhere else):



That's all.

Thank you mom for the cereal. I indulged in my first bowl today and it was oh so delicious.

This weekend, I gotz another 3 day weekend, so I might go into Tokyo. You know I'll keep your sweet ass updated. LATES.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your nametag in that pic. It is huge, you should wear it when you go out. awesome. Lucy

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics, Ryan. So is it getting colder there now? It does get cold there at some point, doesn't it?

12:09 AM  
Blogger Shhhh... said...

hey... is the Borat movie playing over there? Funny stuff, I hear. Going to see it this weeekend.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sweetie, you look great !!!! miss you so much but i can see how much love it there. enjoy the cereal.
xoxoxo mummy

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home